© Jose Fernandez
Electrical Engineer, Msc, PhD, from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) with a wide research activity in signal processing and communications, and able to leverage mathematical, statistical and programming tools for information theory. With talent to obtain, analyze and synthetize knowledge, exhibits creative critical thinking, and professional communication skills.
Josep Font–Segura received the MSc and the PhD degrees in telecommunication engineering from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, in 2008 and 2014, respectively. He was Research Assistant within the Electrical Engineering Department, Columbia University, New York, from 2008 to 2009; and within the Signal Theory and Communications Department, UPC, from 2009 to 2014. Since October 2014, he is Research Associate at the Information and Communication Technologies Department, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF).
Dr Font–Segura's experience in undergraduate research includes satellite communications in a project funded by Indra Espacio SA, as well as multi-user communication through multiple-input multiple-output orthogonal frequency division multiplex (MIMO-OFDM) channels based on Tomlinson-Harashima precoding. Awarded by a prestigious "la Caixa" Fellowship, he spent a one-year research program at the Signal and Information Processing Group at Columbia University, New York, involving fundamental research on multi-user and congnitive radio communications, and attending various seminars and distinguished lectures on a broad range of telecommunication topics. In September 2009, he joined the Signal Processing and Communications Group at UPC as a PhD candidate focussing on the compressed-sampling applied to spectrum sensing for cognitive radio in wideband regimes. In October 2014, he joined the Information Theory and Coding Group at UPF as postdoctoral researcher.
Dr Font–Segura is a recipient of the Best Paper Award at the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), and of a 2014 Juan de la Cierva Fellowship from the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO). He was member of the Organizing Committee of the 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT) held in Barcelona, and he is currently the Vice-Chair of the Spanish Chapter of the IEEE Information Theory Society.
The full curriculum vitae can be downloaded upon request.
Dr Font–Segura has participated in a wide range of research projects on signal processing, digital communications and information theory as Research Assistant at Columbia University and Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, and as Research Associate at Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
Most relevant research projects include
- Finite-length information theory (FP7-IDEAS-ERC-259663)
- Advances in statistical learning, communication and information theory (TEC2012-38800-C03-03)
- Communications and signal processing in adverse scenarios (TEC2013-47020-C2-2-R)
- Dynamic access and cognitive communications (TEC2010-21245-C02-01)
- Foundations and methodologies for future communications and sensor networks (CONSOLIDER INGENIO CSD2008-00010)
- National Science Foundation (CCF-0726480)
- United States Office of Naval Research (N00014-08-2-0318)
- Signal processing advanced techniques for cognitive radio systems (TEC2007-68094-C02-2)
Most relevant publications include
- J. Font–Segura, G. Vazquez–Vilar, A. Martinez, A. Guillén i Fàbregas, and A. Lancho, “Saddlepoint approximations in random coding”, Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS), Princeton, NJ, March 2018.
- J. Font–Segura, G. Vázquez and J. Riba. “Single and multi-frequency wideband spectrum sensing with side-information”, IET Signal Processing, vol. 8, issue 8, pp. 831-843, October 2014.
- J. Riba, J. Font–Segura, J. Villares and G. Vázquez. “Frequency-domain GLR detection of a second-order cyclostationary signal over fading channels”, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1899–1912, April 2014.
- J. Font–Segura, G. Vázquez and J. Riba. “Nonuniform sampling walls in wideband signal detection”, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 44-55, January 2014.
- J. Font–Segura, Y. Su and X. Wang. “Robust nonlinear precoding for downlink MU-MIMO-OFDM systems with limited feedback”, IET Communications, vol. 6, issue 12, pp. 1734-1741, August 2012.
- J. Font–Segura and X. Wang. “GLRT-based spectrum sensing for cognitive radio with prior information”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 2137-2146, July 2010 (105 citations).
Dr Font–Segura has held several teaching appointments at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya and at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, as lecturer of the undergraduate and graduate courses on
- Advanced Digital Signal Processing
- Data Transmission and Coding
- Wireless Communications and Networking